Monday, March 2, 2009

Julia Sonmi Heglund



As I wipe the drool from my mouth, let me say this: Julia Sonmi Heglund's work will BREAK. YOU. DOWN. I read a post about her work on an LA-based blog only to discover that she went to lives right in this fair city, and graduated from UW in aught six with a degree in (hmm, I wonder) art. I love her style, blending comic-book cheek with the technicolor/geometric (The Basis of 1980s/2000s Hip?) and throwing in a few dashes of Native American pop culture for good measure.

She made a series of shirts for Threadless.com, my favorite being the one above, titled "Believe It." I can't get enough of this wry mysticism - wish I could conjure up lions and buffalo and wild horses in my space pyramid chamber, don't you?

Here's a video featuring her more well-known Threadless shirt, "Consumption." Julia, if you're reading this, let's be Internet friends, 'kay? Sailor Moon is my life too.



I can only hope the fancy new Art Lofts will inspire work of a similar caliber from other U-Dubsies. Anyone know any other art students worthy of being featured up in hurr?

No comments:

Post a Comment